Monday, May 1, 2017

A Little About Me

It seems appropriate to start by introducing myself.

I'm a 32 year-old female physician living in the Midwestern United States. For the past year and change, I've been pretty deep into the fandom for television's BBC Sherlock.

For those of you who are unfamiliar, here's a fairly good definition of fandom, from the sometimes-crude Urban Dictionary, posted by Brianne in August of 2004:

"The community that surrounds a tv show/movie/book etc. Fanfiction writers, artists, poets, and cosplayers are all members of that fandom."

My experience in internet fandom has been long and varied, as has my experience with Sherlock Holmes and his numerous adaptations. I hope to record, in this blog, my attempt to parlay my dedication to an ephemeral television series into a lifelong interest in one of the oldest fandoms on record, that for Arthur Conan Doyle and his archetypal characters.

I recently attended a fan convention for Sherlock Holmes fans, 221 B Con 2017 in Atlanta, Georgia. This came at an emotionally raw time for me, due to some stress from intra-fandom relations.

Which...looking back now, seems incredibly ridiculous. I had briused feelings from a scuffle over ownership of a minor female character with fans who had displayed a persistently negative attitude toward critical analysis of media. Why did I even care?

I had been considering attending a meeting of my local scion society, but was so afraid of my reception that I'd put it off for almost a year. But at the convention, because of the nature of a panel on which I would be speaking, I had dinner with a group of BSI Sherlockians, and my reception was so incredibly warm. These people were excited to play the game, to engage in the type of debate and mental exercises which had met such resistance in the BBC Sherlock fandom circles I inhabited.

So here I am. A young, professional female embarking on a journey to re-familarize herself with the ACD canon, and to read, for the first time, the writings of the Baker Street Journal and other academic publications dedicated to Holmes, Watson, and Doyle. You should see my bookcase. Collapse is threatened by the weight of expectation and brainpower contained on its shelves.

As to the title of the blog...I lived on an egg farm from birth to four years of age, and my personal history as a Missouri farm-girl who continues to break through the fences others construct, is a very important part of me.

Welcome to my madness. I hope you enjoy the journey.

Next time in the blog-o-sphere: my history in fandom.

1 comment:

  1. Great start! Far too few straight-up blogs full of words out there in a format that doesn't overwhelm you with reactions. Looking forward to seeing your ongoing journey and hope it's a very long one!

    ReplyDelete

For Everyone Who Says It Doesn't Matter

Who were your childhood heroes? I’m betting they were figures you saw in media. Whether sports stars or characters from movies, TV, or...